10 Pinterest Tips for Your Local Business
Social media is quickly becoming one of the most popular forms of marketing to ever hit the business world. Everywhere you look, you see something about Facebook or Twitter…
And now there’s a new social platform gaining a lot of attention from business marketers all over the world; Pinterest.
Although Pinterest may be the new kid on the block in terms of social media, it is quickly becoming one of the most popular social media platforms there is. In fact, recent studies have shown that Pinterest is the fastest growing social media platform to ever exist.
Yes, even faster than Facebook when you compare the age of the two. Pinterest is different than the other social media platforms due to the fact that it is focused primarily around posting high quality photos.
So, at first glance you may be a bit overwhelmed and unsure of what to do with this hot, new online marketing tool. How do you use it to its full advantage when it comes to attracting more local customers to your business?
Here are some tips to help get your business on those Pinterest boards:
1. Link Your Boards to Other Social Media – When you first create your Pinterest account, be sure to link it to your Facebook and Twitter pages as well. This helps to integrate all your social media efforts and allows you to reach an even wider audience. At the moment, Pinterest only allows you to link to personal Facebook pages so if you have a personal Facebook page, link it there. But you can link directly to your business’s Twitter page with no problem.
2. Only Use High-Quality Photos – Pinterest is about sparking the imagination and inspiring people through photos. This cannot be done with a picture that you took on your smart phone. Take the time to take nice photographs of your products and then post them on your boards. Also, never post a photo that is not yours unless you have their full permission from the owner and are willing to give them full credit for the photo.
3. Create Numerous Boards – You can create as many Pinterest boards as you would like and it is a great idea to do so. For example, if you are a retail flower shop, you can create different boards for different types of flowers. For instance, you can create boards based on the colors of the flowers, seasonal flowers, or even flowers for different occasions. You get the idea; create many different boards for all your different products and/or services for the best results.
4. Always Add a Description of the Photo – Keep these short but also keep them keyword-rich. People are searching for ideas and inspirations on Pinterest, so adding keywords to your descriptions helps to draw in those people who are looking for the type of information you have to offer.
5. Include Your Business Website Link on Your Photos – After you upload a photo and add a description to it, there will be an option to add a website or URL for the image. Go ahead and put your website link there and when someone clicks on the picture, it will take them to your site. This is a great way to attract new customers on auto-pilot!
6. Become Active – One nice thing about Pinterest is that it encourages people to be active. Take the time to look at other people’s boards that may inspire you on a personal or business level. If you find a photograph that you really like, ’re-pin’ it. This simply puts this person’s pin on your board but gives them the proper credit. It is a way to show others that you appreciate their work and that they have inspired you. Not to mention a great way to get reach other people.
7. Include Location in Pins – A great tip for local business owners is to always include your city name in your pins. This helps people in your local area find you as well as help with overall SEO rankings. Something like “Beautiful Rose Bouquet from our Miami Beach Store” is simple, yet descriptive enough.
8. Pin Regularly – Studies have shown that weekends tend to be the best time to use Pinterest and more people tend to ‘re-pin’ on Saturday mornings than any other time. If you are closed on the weekends, consider posting pins on Friday before you leave. Whatever you do, just be active because posting on a regularly basis will help to increase your followers and your overall web presence.
9. Search for People to Follow – Take a little time and look for people who may be interested in your products and services and follow them. Follow people who are in a similar field or other local businesses in the area. Local people, both consumer and business owners, are likely to follow you back.
10. Fill Out Your Profile Completely – As with all social media platforms, make sure that you fill out your profile in its entirety. Never leave fields blank and make sure that the box to hide your profile from search engines is NOT checked. You definitely want search engines to find you and your boards.
Although it could take some getting used to, Pinterest is yet another great tool to add to your arsenal of online marketing methods. There is no such thing as “too much” online exposure. So in order to connect with local consumers, you should utilize any methods that can help you do just that.
If there is any way at all that photos can contribute to the growth of your business, be sure to pin them according to the tips above if you want them to work for your local business.
Need some assistance setting up and/or managing your Pinterest account?
We specialize in helping local businesses here in the Treasure Coast Fl area connect with local consumers by establishing a strong social media presence. Contact us at (772) 979-3652 for a free, no obligation consultation!